Growing up in the '70s I recall all those songs about peace, still lingering on AM radio stations a decade later. Lately, I've been catching myself humming a few. I remember hearing different versions of Bachrach's What the World Needs Now is Love and  I'd like to Teach the World to Sing as a Coke commercial and by the Seekers on AM radio, then there was Cat Stevens' Peace Train and Morning Has Broken both sung at church during our school masses. Imagine.

I don't know how many children of the '70s felt that peace was something real or attainable if only we'd all sing about it, sincerely enough, holding hands. Maybe it was just me. As I got older and the '80s became clouded with Reaganomics and the war on drugs...the peace songs sort of stopped, some never making into FM radio until oldies stations picked them up.

The holidays are near. A time to maybe reflect on peace.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home