Snow

We had a snow day for just a dusting of snow that had fallen an hour or two during the evening. It was not the first time August had experienced snow, but it was the first time she will remember, I hope. It was her first snow day and we loved receiving the message that school was cancelled and we'd both get the day off. The day was sunny and bright, the air crisp and so cold.

Yesterday evening we had been reading The Reindeer's Wish. All the photos of snow in the book had us telling each other how much we wanted it to snow. We drifted off and didn't finish the book and woke up an hour later to a phone call. My friend was excitedly telling me that it was snowing outside so we ran out and it was dreamy. August said the faeries did it just for us because we had been reading and wishing for snow.

We had a nice breakfast and she played the morning away taking out all her toys from the moving bins and boxes. I don't mind living with so many dolls and all the toy versions of everything I own. Childhood doesn't last long and toys won't be scattered throughout all rooms of our abode forever.

We spent the second half of the day at our favorite spots, browsing. I don't know what browsing does for children, for August, but she seems to really enjoy looking at old things at antique stores. She asks to borrow my camera to take pictures of things she likes or tell me to take a photo of her next to something she loves. We are in search of a pet, sort of.  More committed to the browsing for a pet, rather than the plan to actually have one.

We ate baked apples and chestnuts, and  watched Christmas in Connecticut. She suggested pork chops for dinner and I used the broiler for the first time. She fell asleep in my arms and I carried her to bed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home