Pound Pup

There are three dogs in this home. Their origin stories all sad, but they seem quite happy now. The latest addition went straight from the pound to the vet and then came home, last Thursday. Completely unexpected. I didn't feel overwhelmed the way I usually do when I adopt a pup. Maybe because this time I have all she needed and didn't have to make any purchases. She sleeps a lot and needs to sleep a lot torecover from what looks like a rough life. She was shaking so badly at the pound that I thought she was having a seizure.
 
I assumed she was tagged by one of the rescue groups in town because she was a surrender. As it turned out, the rescue groups didn't want her. That was the second I felt incredible sadness and decided to take her. She looked so bad and sick already and the hot days were not going to bring her any closer to health. She would fail to thrive and be euthanized at 4 years old. If she was going to die, I wanted her to pass away loved. I took a chance on her, hoping she was healthy enough to recover.
 
Her ears were shredded and filthy. The vet said she had an ear infection and after two weeks of medications, she would be just fine. Otherwise, the complete blood panel, x-ray and parasite work up came back great. She will be spayed once she is declared completely healed.
 
I wanted to get her groomed right away but was advised to wait. She was sprayed with Febreze and you could see where patches of fur were cut out, possibly how her ears were cut. She is in pain, can't touch her ear. I hope it all heals up soon. She's incredibly sweet and loving. The other two dogs want to play and meet her, however, with her raggedy ears, and tender spots, not a good idea. This will need to be slow. She was being bitten by the dog in the home. Apparently, many dogs. She would then run away and the owner became tired of that and surrendered her. Also, gave her up when she looked so ill.
 
So for whatever reason on that Thursday morning, we set out on errands but I kept getting pulled to go to the pound. I didn't want a dog so I ignored the nagging feeling. Then as the day continued, I thought, what is the harm if I don't want another dog. Just take a look. Maybe it was a telepathically broadcasted S.O.S, and I tuned into that frequency and couldn't turn it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home