Historical Value

The other day I was pondering the historical value of things. People on the Antiques Road Show are always so disappointed that there knick-knack has no historical significance or value. In my collection in my world there are several pieces that are of significant historical value. Shall I list?
Don't be jealous:

1. The mirror from the ladies room in Quack's when it was on the drag. I took it before they closed and turned it into a boutique that has recently closed. It is where my best friend and I saw ourselves being who we always wanted to be for the first time.

2. The mechanical bow making machine from The Guarantee Store. This lil machine made bows for countless wedding, graduation, birthday and Christmas presents at the store in Del Rio. A gift from The Guarantee meant a carefully picked bauble to mark a special milestone. The bows were always so pretty and perfect. When I heard the store was closing I heard that Heywood Wakefield furniture was used to furnish the whole store and was now up for grabs, that there was gorgeous deadstock apparel but I was on pins and needles trying to get the bow making machine, for it's historical value, you know.

3. The punch bowl from Sacred Heart Academy. This punch bowl is old, tres old. It belonged to the nuns at Sacred Heart Academy in Del Rio back when they actually lived at the school and wore habits. After they moved in the mid 70s, they left behind a few sundries in what became the teacher's lounge. The punch bowl with all it's lil cups was left behind and used in classroom parties. I remember this punch bowl at the Valentine's party in the first grade, then at the Christmas party in the second grade, it was at my first dance in the 6th grade... When you are always picked to help do the punch and not pass out the cupcakes, you learn to recognize the same ole punch bowl. A few years ago my mother showed up with it and I was amazed it had lasted so long, but it is most surely the same tired ole punch bowl, the cups are in great condition but you can see over forty years of wear from parties on the bowl when you hold it up to the light. How cool is that?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home