Capirotada!

On Saturday night I followed my Grandmother's recipe for Capirotada. It is a sort of Mexican bread pudding traditionally served during Lent. Every family has their own recipe. For some it is a sweet dessert and for others it is more of a savory side. Some ingredients I have heard that go into this dish are onions, tomatoes,nuts and bananas. I even found something online about using egg noodles or tortillas instead of bread. As I said, to each his own. I was raised on my Grandmother's recipe so reading of these extra ingredients is unappetizing to me. However, if you have never had Capirotada you might want to explore the different types and find one you like.

My Grandmother serves it for dessert during Lent, all warmed up. It is really simple. I can't share my Grandmother's recipe but I will share this one because it comes so close to hers:
Capirotada

1 loaf of bread (white or potato)

16 oz. of piloncillo

2 cups of water

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1 cup of shredded Monterrey Jack, Colby or Mild American cheese

1 cup of raisins

1/4 cup of butter, melted

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Make a syrup by boiling the sugar, water, cinnamon and cloves together for 10 minutes or until it’s slightly thickened and reduced.

In a greased large rectangular pan, place half the bread and pour over it half the melted butter. Be sure and coat the bread but do not soak. Drizzle about ¼ cup of the syrup over the bread to coat. Layer on top of the bread the cheese, and raisins. Place the rest of the bread on top, drizzle over the remaining butter and then pour over the rest of the syrup. Make sure that each piece of bread is properly coated in syrup.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for fifteen more minutes. I like to eat it warm.