Homemade Popsicles

Every summer when we were kids my mom used to make us homemade popsicles. She used those Tupperware popsicle molds.


They came out tasting a lot like vanilla custard. They were YUMMMMMM-EEEEEEEEE and I have been craving one for the last 25 years or so. Long time.

I have asked her for that recipe and she doesn't know where it is or where it came from,"Maybe from Family Circle?" she says. Hmmm like circa 1971 or so. I've looked at tons of homemade popsicle recipes and none of them looked as if they would taste or have the consistency that my mom's had. Tried numerous pudding pop recipes too and no dice. It occurred to me that maybe it tasted like custard because it was frozen custard.

So I tried this recipe and it's very close to what I remember having. I remember that my mom's was a little richer, maybe because I had kid taste buds or maybe because she used Mexican vanilla or eggs, milk and cream just tasted eggier, milkier and creamier in the 70s? Here is the recipe I used:

2 c. milk
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. cream, whipped
1 tbsp. vanilla or almond extract

1. Heat milk in the top of double boiler over boiling water.
2. Mix together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually stir in the hot milk, mixing constantly.
3. Return over double boiler and cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
4. Remove from heat and cool.
5. When cooled, fold in whipped cream and vanilla. Pour into trays and freeze until firm. Serves 6.


Popsicle Molds

Labels: