Remember this guy?


Yuk! When I was a kid I thought he was so gross, I think he still is. First caught Slim Goodbody on Captain Kangaroo. My little brother and I also got grossed out by the Zoom opening (here's an earlier version but similar to what they did later). It had these kids all dressed the same with their striped shirts and jeans but barefooted. That icked us to death for some reason. Once I happened to wear a similar shirt and jeans and ran after him barefooted saying I was a ZoomaZZZZZZZZZZZZooma kid out to get him. Chased him but we both stopped cause we were laughing too hard. We liked Zoom but something about the intro that season they had striped shirts.

Zoom and Sesame Street, all those PBS shows had kids from the East Coast and I was always fascinated by them. I'd ask my mom why they were so different, never met kids around me who spoke like they did, I really dug their accents. My friend Rodney and his brother came to Del Rio, Tx from Pennsylvania in 1979 or so and I remember they had those accents. Later he told me they thought we all spoke like we were out of a Deputy Dawg cartoon and couldn't stop laughing at us.

Oh yeah, The Letter People! In kindergarten we had the blow up dolls and the record. After nap time the record was played and Mrs Wall, who assisted Mrs Eckles, would come in dancing with the new letter person. After those 26 days of fun the Letter People were strung from the ceiling and soon after that, kindergarten was over.

Did anyone ever learn to read from Theodore Clymer's books? I can only recall:
One Potato, Two
Helicopters and Gingerbread
Duck Is a Duck
The Dog Next Door and Other Stories
Fish and Not Fish
May I Come In?
Seven Is Magic
How It Is Nowadays

And what set off this nostalgic minutiae? We watched Swingtown last night and I saw Tupperware. Vintage Tupperware always catapults me back to the 70s and my childhood.

Labels: , ,