Realities
















En route to Seminole Canyon this weekend my mother told me I had been to Marfa when I was four or five years old. I thought I had no recollection of this. She said my Grandparents drove us all to Marfa to board a train headed for Mexico and there was nothing in Marfa. Still no recollection. I asked my Grandparents who told me they sure did remember that trip because Mexican Federales were positioned  on top of the train cars because we were heading into the mountains and then I remembered everything! I always had that  memory of fully armed, scary Mexican Federales standing on train cars but always thought that memory was from some movie. It was no movie, it was real and it was between 1975 and 1976. 

I always thought I had seen the remains of the house used in the movie Giant but didn't know we had actually visited the old film set from the highway. I always remembered seeing the silouette of an old house  from the road and was impressed with how it sat against nothingness and loved the nothingness more than the house. It was windy and I was bored but the adults were going on and on.  I filed this memory to maybe a visit to Langtry or a dream I had.  It was part of that Marfa trip.

Dusting off old memories and putting them back into place is something that doesn't happen often. I now have a list of memories to ask my mother about. I'd like to know what else is real or only part of a dream or a movie.

I do recall sitting on my mother's lap in a car once and turning around to look at my baby brother in the back seat. He was tiny and his feet and hands were covered as he slept on a blanket stretched out in the backseat. The sun began to come through the car window and it illuminated his face.  Then I looked out the window and saw nothingness.  I would like to know where we were headed, maybe my Mother remembers the first trips made right after my brother was born.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home