Dumping all my Christmas on you

Today I am dumping all things Christmas that I know of on to you. I've yet to set  things up at home. A single wreath is on the door but that is it. My cubicle is decked out with lights, paper snowflakes and my usual Christmas decor. I listen to Christmas music as I slave away forty hours a week. I find chai and gingersnaps to be the perfect office snack this time of year. No matter what the temperature is outside, my office is always a constant 55 degrees. The recession has failed to raise the office temperature. I've got the thinnest blood ever so I bundle up and I actually become a bit cozy in my cube this time of the year.



















In Mexico the nativity scene is the Christmas centerpiece, not the tree. These nativity scenes are huge and intricate and stay up until January. I have heard that in South and Central America they go up in September and come down in February. If I had the space I'd have a large nativity scene like the one my Abuelita has in Mexico. When my Abuelito was still alive he would set it up. He'd add rocks and live plants from around the garden creating a beautiful and touching centerpiece that spanned several feet. I have come across several different nativity sets from all over the world in some shops in town, each so beautiful and unique. Terra Toys has several from India. Playmobil even makes one and Fisher Price also has a {new} Little People one. Pictured is a crochet nativity set from Vietnam.

If you want a new or non-traditional advent wreath, I thought this was a clever idea:

Snowbound for Christmas is a cute song by the De Castro Sisters. A favorite is The Bells of Christmas sung by Frank and Nancy Sinatra and The Christmas Waltz (sung by anyone).  I love Christmas songs and every year I purchase a few new Christmas Cd's or holiday vinyl. It's easy to get carried away. I recently discovered I have as many Christmas albums as regular albums. I don't have everything. Sorry, no Jingle Cats in my collection and I wasn't too keen on an entire Christmas album by Bruce Springsteen. Here are some cool Christmas music blogs:
Mistletunes
Hi-Fi Holiday
Christmas a Go-Go

Did you know Bell, Book and Candle was a cute holiday film? I think it is. It begins with Christmas and carries that feeling throughout the film. There are plenty of films out there and I am always on the look out for new ones to watch starting December 1st. Check out this list if you want more than A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life, HolidayInnWhiteChristmasMiracleon34thSt...

Christmas websites:
*Be sure to look up your local Christmas Bureau to find families in need.
Mondo Fruitcake (Know of a ready made gluten free fruitcake?I miss my Collin Street tradition)
Tacky Christmas Yards (I don't see too many that are really all that tacky though, is that wrong?)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Happy holidays wall decals said...

We really can't wait for Christmas! These mini figurines for Christmas are lovely.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010  
Blogger Tera said...

Teehee, it would be awesome to have you! xoxoxo T.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010  
Blogger Missa said...

We've got a cool little fair trade handcrafts shop here in town called Kindred. It's always one of the first places I go when shopping for gifts and they've got all kinds of wonderful little nativity scenes up right now.

Clover and I brought a ton of Christmas themed books home from the library yesterday. It's really fun to now get the chance to relive the childhood magic of Christmas along with her :)

Thursday, December 02, 2010  
Blogger Tera said...

Hi Missa, I went to the Kindred website and what an awesome store to have in town. We have a 10,000 Villages but it's a good 40 minutes away from me and parking is an issue. I end up just ordering off the website.

I'll share this with you: When my Mom was here last weekend she read me the story Too Many Tamales. I am never too old to have my Mom read to me :> It was her idea too. She loves that book and I had never read it. So I wish you and Clover many magical Christmases.

Thursday, December 02, 2010  
Anonymous Francesca said...

Nativity scenes are very much part of Christmas tradition here. We made our own when my boys were little, using simple clay.

Friday, December 03, 2010  
Blogger Tera said...

Francesca-How wonderful! That is a great idea.

Friday, December 03, 2010  
Blogger sally said...

i'm late on commenting, but wanted to say we put the tree up super early this year. my bf decorates the heck outta our little apt. his son is 9 and we go all out for him! we have so many garlands and a tree that looks way to big for our tiny space! i love this cozy time of year and i agree that chai is a necessity.

and on the semi- off-topic side of things, tera, have you ever gone here:

http://www.elinterior.com/

we have some good shops sorta like this in sf but nothing with this much variety. wish i lived closer. :)

Thursday, December 16, 2010  
Blogger Tera said...

Sally,
Yes, El Interior is really cool but a bit pricey. Still, every now and then I'll treat myself.

Thursday, December 16, 2010  
Blogger sally said...

awesome! :)

Thursday, December 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home