My Style



This scene from the I Love Lucy Show has Lucy wearing a Pendleton 49er. The company still makes these wool jackets. They were created in 1949 and could be paired with a matching skirt or pair of pants, also offered by the company. Cinched at the waist with a simple leather belt and you achieve a sharp silhouette, you'll feel like a woman in a Douglas Sirk film. The women in his films frequently wore sharp wools and tweeds in outdoor scenes.


I had a vintage, grey flannel 49er that I ended up giving my friend in exchange for her black, leather motorcycle jacket. I don't regret the trade, I only wish I could find another vintage 49er. 

Ethel's cable knit, sweater and the pants she is sporting are something I wish I had as well. Love the detailing in those back pockets. The country style way of dressing in the late 40's early 50's is a look that I still love. It is a style that seems to be having a slight resurgence in the past few years. I see cowichan inspired sweaters, Pendleton inspired flannels and prints, the return of Minnetonka, capes, shawls and ponchos.



























It would be nice to see these once well made Mexican sweaters available again.  I have wanted one for almost twenty years now but Mexico started putting out cheap versions in the early 80's and now you can't even find anything like it. They were available for a season here and there three years or so ago.

















Those calf length, A-line, wool plaid skirts paired with black scoop necks and turtlenecks (cashmere) are another favorite look.  I'd like to own a really nice pair of wool pants, cuffed or sharply tapered like those pants Laura Petrie wore on the Dick Van Dyke show.

But most of all, it would be wonderful to have a really creative fashion designer with good taste create beautiful maternity clothes.  

5 Comments:

Blogger Nichole said...

I love Pendleton! I found a vintage Pendleton pink two-piece suit for $13 at a store here in Seattle, which is crawling with Pendleton (because the factory is so close!). The craftsmanship lasts for years and the pieces are so beautiful!

This post has me all inspired for the country-style way of dressing. I've only recently felt a pull towards that. Thanks for posting!

Thursday, November 03, 2011  
Blogger Tera said...

AWESOME! You are so lucky to live there loving Pendleton!!! I have often wished I could visit and dream of walking into just about any thrift, Salvation Army and Goodwill and coming out with board shirts, skirts, coats , 49ers etc.....

Thursday, November 03, 2011  
Blogger nadine paduart said...

ha! in a nut shell, at the bottom of your manifesto... ;)))
n♥

Friday, November 04, 2011  
Blogger Tera said...

Teeheee yep...

Saturday, November 05, 2011  
Blogger mexchic said...

hi! i just came across your great blog and i have a company called mexchic online which sells the very mexican sweater you are looking for. here is a link to my website: http://www.mexchicdesign.com/

they are impeccably made and super duper warm.

best,
christina hattler
mexchic.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home