M.A.S.H.

Remember playing M.A.S.H. with your girlfriends? How at slumber parties with close friends it would inevitably start everyone talking about their dreams... from a nine year olds point of view? I remember playing M.A.S.H. very well. I played it constantly growing up. I played it alone, over and over through class, through middle school and then secretly in high school during breaks in the library and even in . Even after college. Geez, I admit, before and after going out with guys well into my late twenties. On my wedding day to my first husband! If ever a bad sign...

The games became more and more complex, more categories, more lists, more specific lists, more specific-specifics. I enjoyed the dreaming but they were looking desperate. I wanted to know my future. I still do. What has remained a constant has been finding a simple life, true love and children.

I was happy with the "shack". I always envisioned plants and flowers around my shack, a garden, lots of cuddly animals. I even dared putting down 4, 5 and 8 children!  What  was always important to me was stability. I wanted a stable and peaceful life, that was happiness to me, boring to some, heaven to me. To have what was  needed, a loving person in my life by side, my best friend and confidant and there would be no worries. I thought that was easy to get when I was nine years old. Just make the right choices....how hard is that? When you love someone, they love you back exactly the same, find a simple life, all needs will be met because you are not complicating things. Such are the thoughts of a little girl.  Then you realize how easy it is to be mislead, lied too, taken advantage of, misunderstood and the choices are harder, the consequences of certain choices, the results of those consequences of certain choices.

Tonight there is a notebook by my bed with fresh M.A.S.H. games scribbled all over the last few pages. None of them turning up very good. Thought I would include a few amusing M.A.S.H. games found online though. If you manipulate the categories right and make just enough lines, it offers a feeling of order and control for a few fleeting minutes.




3 Comments:

Blogger moonshinejunkyard said...

your vintage mash games sound just like mine. i loved it too and was known to talk my brother and his friends into playing just to get the thrill of it. i also was happy with the shack but i would include "country cottage" "beach house" and "victorian house with gables" etc to spice things up. i loved imagining a schoolbus full of kids and a job as a painter, an anthropologist or a detective. i guess it is a very tiny miniature imaginative way to live many lives. i hope that your future is looking stable and sweet to you and that your choices today are leading you there just accordingly.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013  
Blogger Milla said...

Yes! Also that game where you take your crush's/yucky boy's from your year/ history teacher's name and your own and count your "love %". So fun.

Friday, March 15, 2013  
Blogger Tera said...

Heather, we would have been best buds in school....yes to cottages and beach houses....When there weren't specific guys to list it was fun putting down German engineer, Spanish model, French guy who was once in the French Foreign Legion and looks like Christopher Jones (after watching Ryan's Daughter for the first time)...xo

Milla: Yes! I haven't played that one too much into adulthood but can say it was played it as recently as 2011.

Friday, March 15, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home