Two years ago...

A little tidbit left unpublished until now:

August. This is her month, the last days of summer, butterflies, cicadas and fiery sunsets that drown in the humid cornfields of Indiana. This year we are in Texas, where summer still has two more months left. I have yet to smell autumn in the morning breeze. It is still a long way off in these parts.

We are no match for the powerful cicada. Conversations trail off then die under their heavy clamor. They blanket parties and get togethers, hypnotizing everyone. You suddenly find yourself languid.  I used them the other day to put August to sleep. We sat under my grandparent's porch, under pecan trees and just listened. I don't remember drifting off but when I opened my eyes my grandfather and August had both fallen asleep. 

I am different. Four months later and there are no longer photos of architecture, animals, landscapes or the like.  My days are filled with August and they have been sublime. I can't take my eyes or the camera off of her for long. Every moment is something I never want to forget. If only I could save the scent of her head, her little feet and hands.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger moonshinejunkyard said...

Lump in my throat. Everything about this.

Thursday, September 18, 2014  
Anonymous Karen Fraser said...

This memory will be precious to August when she is old enough to understand it.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014  
Blogger Francesca said...

so tender, Tera.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home