Stationary

There is so much in this city to explore that we have not ventured on long drives to neighboring towns or cities in quite awhile. I find myself thinking back to the drives in Pennsylvania, the long walks in Baltimore, the day trip in Ohio. In my memory those road trips don't seem as long as they probably were. I would love to return to Maryland and show August the ships on Pratt St in Baltimore. I still feel Cleveland, OH calling my name and to date...there isn't a record store or antique shop that compares to what Pennsylvania can offer. 

Family days in small towns meant driving to the nearest metropolitan area and spending the day there, pushing the night returns to 11pm or so. These days, family days are spent mostly at home. They are lazy and enjoyable.  Just living in a large city is enough, no need to drive looking for another every weekend. When I lived here before, there was a constant yearning for a countryside, for space... After living among tall pines and in rural areas around the country, I feel just fine in our little corner of the city. 

Home ownership is another desire that was quenched with travel. I don't find myself wanting to return to home ownership by any means. Not yet. I can't explain why exactly only that when I owned a home I felt much heavier than I do now. Parks make up for backyards and I feel have much to offer. August meets someone new at every park, as do I and we enjoy that. I'd like to have chickens again but even with a yard, now wouldn't be a time for chickens. I don't feel like looking after pets of any sort and finally understand the mother's lament regarding new pets. 

We are fast approaching our one year anniversary of having returned to the city we never thought we'd ever live in again. It hasn't been without it's challenges and I am still not too sure how long we will stay. I'm forever changed with the traveling we did, a realization that continues to unfold and become clearer the longer I am here. Changes are always up ahead, enjoying the way things are now. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Holly said...

I sometimes wish we weren't home owners so we could travel new places, wild & free and enjoy different environments for awhile. With four children in schools this would be difficult on them so I must daydream and wait many years. Awesome family pic.

Saturday, February 28, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

@Holly: It's not really something to do with babies either since they require frequent well baby checks and vaccinations. August had 4 pediatricians in two different states. I'm not in any rush to get moving again, just trying to find a nice place to really settle into though. Not sure if it will be Texas or where....

Sunday, March 01, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

what a beautiful family photo!

Monday, March 02, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home