Corner View: Monochrome

Ages and ages ago when I was in the sixth grade  I was introduced to a computer with a monochrome monitor that did nothing. We were taught how to make it do "loops" and add and subtract. In high school we learned to set a little white box on a path around the screen, a trick that took pages and pages of code. I hated computers. It was a waste of my time, I thought. It does nothing for me. We have calculators and electric typewriters...Why do I need this thing that needs me to tell it what to do and it can't do much anyway?

I no longer have a laptop. It contained all my photos and movies of August. It was a sort of memory bank. Some photos and movies were uploaded to Instagram, Flickr, Youtube and this blog. There were some text files I may not recover and I can care less what was in my iTunes. Music is easy for me to recover. Sometime ago the iPhoto library had to be rebuilt and all my photos and movies multiplied, quite the opposite of erased. To sort through that was being caught in a web of my own memories. My memories began to weigh heavy and killed my laptop's memory.

This past year it stopped playing music and DVDs then it stopped streaming. It became frustrating to even use it for blogging because it was slow and the scrolling and loading and this and that...just slow or muddled. I cleaned it up but it had reached its end in terms of updates. I could no longer update software. Too old.

I am blogging on my iPhone, typing with my thumb and feeling the limitations of being without a laptop. More specifically, my own working laptop, not so much the non-working laptop I had in the end. At this moment, monochrome reminds me of perceived limitations. 

13 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

In 1998 , the year I graduated highschool, they finally upgraded to Windows. I remember the Apple dot matrix and floppy disks .You are so very brave to blog on your phone, that would drive me insane. Maybe having to much photos and such on my home computer is what happened to it also, and what prompted me to beg for a laptop (which I'm using now). With my older kids they need access to computer and internet for assignments so I couldn't hold out long. I hope you and August are enjoying Summer.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can imagine how frustrating that must be! Do you think you'll get a new laptop any time soon?

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Heather said...

I remember taking a "Basic" class and learning how to loop words... Would've never thought how dependent I would become on computers! I am very low tech for the times.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

What was the point of Basic? Ha!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

Mezza, as soon as finances allow or I could just dust off the old desktop and get it going again. It's in the closet. I need a monitor and a keyboard and see if it works after being stored almost five years :)

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Tera said...

Holly, I can now transfer photos directly to Flickr using my phone. I use phone for everything except a phone and rarely text. Thumb blogging is a skill and I guess I'll be practicing a bit :)

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger likeschocolate said...

So sorry your laptop bit the dust. So frustrating mostly as you say for all the memories it holds. Old my children are n the computer.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015  
Blogger Le monde dÖ said...

That's an original vision of monochrome ;)

Thursday, June 25, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

maybe it is a good opportunity to a relaxing time without technology around ;)

Thursday, June 25, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

thumb blogging ... i guess i really underuse my cell phone! my grandmother used to say, "the telephone is for communicating only" when she'd call, and find the line busy for hours while we kids were chatting with friends. now my boys never chat on the phone, they exchange brief texts on whatsapp - or "communicate", as my grandmother would have said :)

Thursday, June 25, 2015  
Blogger shayndel said...

Reminds me of a similar time, when I had too much in my computer and couldn`t do much of anything with it. But finally I did get rid of a lot of the files, and the space cleared... now the same thing is happening, and its getting slow again as I put in more photos. Monochrome reminds me of when we didn`t have computers...and I wonder what the `lesson` is for us?!! Good luck with your phone blogging!! ♡

Monday, June 29, 2015  
Blogger nadine paduart said...

aw, that is a complex thing, innit, computers and their behaviour and our comportment. it's true we've had to learn to get on with them, and it's as true back ups are things we need to do, besides anything else. i would love to say that that which you lose, you did not need, but it's an awful saying. i mean, it is something that could pucker you up some, but a loss is a loss. so.
go get yourself a new laptop and an external hard drive and start up again, like a computer! ping!
;))) n♥
glad you've got stuff in virtual libraries though!

Monday, June 29, 2015  
Blogger Kari said...

i really should be cleaning out my laptop every now and then.

Wow - thumb blogging...I am impressed!!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home