Corner View: Paper

August and I came upon the book Float by Daniel Miyares. It has no words, only beautiful illustrations of a rainy day and a boy with his newly folded paper boat. After the story August wanted a boat. I told her it was a paper boat, one I could make for her. I folded up pink construction paper and we put her pink boat to sail in the bath tub. 

A few days later, hurricane Bill begins churning and we get rain. So much in fact, that it flooded the grassy area of our complex. All that water would soon start rapidly flowing into rain gutters so it was the perfect opportunity for a newspaper boat. We rushed outside with a sturdy paper boat made from several layers of the Austin Chronicle, with the hopes that it would last a few adventures. August enjoyed  watching her boat float down tiny rivers and linger upon teeny lakes. She also delighted in how her boat fell apart just like the one in the story.





7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

The simple pleasures are truly the best! This is something she will remember until she's old... you know, my age!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015  
Blogger Heather said...

And the pillow in my photo was a housewarming gift made by my niece. She made me two and they are among my most prized possessions.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015  
Blogger nadine paduart said...

aw, did it fall apart? that's boating-in-action! what a fun thing to do, especially since it relates so to the book. you clever woman-mum!n♥

Wednesday, June 17, 2015  
Blogger likeschocolate said...

Lovely memory and so sorry you guys are getting so much rain. Praying for your city as I know more storms are on their way.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember making paper boats with my kids! So much fun! But was it wrong that I probably enjoyed making them just as much as they enjoyed floating them in the water?!
And I have it to look forward to with Marco Baby

Wednesday, June 17, 2015  
Blogger Redeker said...

of course i had to look it up, what a great illustrations!! love the story on the paper!
and the boat action in a little puddle...nice to see what can happen with a paper-boat!

Thursday, June 18, 2015  
Blogger Francesca said...

from paper world to real world - that's why books are so magic!

Thursday, June 25, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home