Commentary















I am a huge Wes Anderson fan. Every movie he makes gives me that same feeling I got after I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off the first time. I watched the film with my best friends at the mall movie theater. I was 17, and while I enjoyed the teen romances depicted in Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles, it was the plot of Ferris Bueller skipping school to have real fun, that really made more sense to me. I wanted to live in a city, catch a parade in the middle of the week, go to a museum, go to a fancy restaurant for lunch...such things were not available to me. Living in a small Texas town, my one and only day of playing hooky involved my best friend calling her mother to come pick her up because she was feeling ill. I got by the security guard by creating a fake office note and getting to go home with them. We watched Dirty Dancing, ate hot dogs and drank these sugary drinks called Koalas.

The use of music, timing of the shots, framing of the scenes, symmetry and even the character types in Wes Anderson's films can be found in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. You can see see the scenes that could have been influential.  I am often left wondering what his thoughts on the movie are. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home