Groupie for me...

I met Iggy Pop, Inspiral Carpets, Stephen Malkmus, and various others. When you are a young girl living in a city and standing by the stage, this is what happens. Sadly I missed the whole Riot Grrrl movement because I was either married to a square, busy having panic attacks or broke. Perhaps if I had been able to catch those shows... I wouldn't have done this:

I was once a groupie. 
I would catch every Gal's Panic Show. 
I loved the energy, the electric guitar, the drums, I loved that they played songs by the Carpenters and incorporated the theme song from Villa Allegre into one of theirsongs...andthattheythrewcoolpartieswhereI'dshowupdressedlikeaFrenchmaidanddanced
totheFlamingLipsandtheirsongsandSmashingPumpkinsallnightlongandIcouldgo on...and on...

They were fun. The people who hung around them were fun. It was a fun time, I had great dresses and shoes, and looked great in them and out of them. I knew then, that for women, youth is over in an instant and would be over all too soon for me. And it was. I recently heard their music. "Alexa! Play music by Gal's Panic." There it was. My favorite song. 

However, my tastes have changed and I look back and see that there was a group of us who enjoyed the music, the group would attend the shows. It was just a group. 

I believed I was in love with the guitar player but I was really in love with a well played guitar and with anyone who was on the stage making the music that made me forget about what I was supposed to be doing. Sweaty fun.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home